4th Annual Kiteboarding Camp, 2019
2019 Sammy’s Bootcamp
Cabarete, Dominican Republic
Aloha! We are pleased to invite you to be a part of the Sammy’s Aloha Watersports fourth annual kiteboarding camp, 2019. Our kiteboarding camp will take place in the beautiful (and windy) kiteboarding mecca of Cabarete, Dominican Republic.
We are offering a limited number of spots for our best clients to participate in this awesome adventure. This is your chance to up your kiteboarding skills to a level you never thought possible. Experience the best of this legendary kite spot, and enjoy exceptional Dominican hospitality with your local guide, Sammy! And if you’re already an advanced rider, even better – we’ll take you to our special private spots with both wave and flat water conditions, as well as an amazing downwinder.
Bonus: this year’s dates once again line up with the Cabarete Kite Fest, (organized by our friend and pro-kite legend Susi Mai) and a world-class big air kiteboarding competition! On your downtime you’ll be able to watch the best guys in the world shred it from just a few yards away, and mingle with kite aficionados (and hit up the parties, if you wish!).
Saturday, July 20 – Saturday, July 27, 2019
Super early bird
(‘till 2/28/19): $1,000
(3/1/19 – 4/30/19): $1,150
(after 5/1/19): $1,300
5 days of intensive lessons, plus 1 fun excursion day, some cool extras, cultural exchanges, and many great memories!
• 5 extended kiteboarding lessons/sessions at Kite Beach (or other locales for advanced riders)
• 2 morning surf lessons at Encuentro Beach
• 1 fun group adventure full day excursion to Damajagua 27 waterfalls, including lunch & transport
• Welcome Orientation, including drinks & heavy appetizers
• Closing Party, including traditional Dominican dinner & drinks
• Round trip transportation from Puerto Plata Airport to your hotel of choice in Cabarete town
• Transportation to all group event locations (ex. surfing & kiting spots as needed, group dinners)
• Plenty of recommendations for dining, nightlife, and local experiences
PARTIAL PACKAGES FOR NON-KITERS: Extra guests in your party who wish to participate in the group fun without hitting the water may join in for just $300/per person as a “Land Lover” (includes everything above except the kiteboarding/surfing), or $500/per person as a “Surf Dabbler” (includes everything above except the kiteboarding).
Flight and Accommodations:
You will book your own airfare and accommodations separately; however we have already researched the best options for you!
Airport: Puerto Plata Gregorio Luperon Airport (POP), which is just 25 minutes from Cabarete center.
Airlines: American, United, JetBlue, and Air Canada are the primary airlines flying into POP.
Dates: Recommended – Arrive on Saturday, 7/20 (or earlier, if you prefer) and depart on Saturday, 7/27. But you are certainly welcome to extend your stay beyond the camp’s dates.
Millennium Resort & Spa: We highly recommend you stay at the Millennium Hotel, which is a beautiful beachfront property right at the kiting spot (and home base of the Cabarete Kite Fest)! Click here to see: Millennium Resort & Spa – Expedia.
Ocean Dream: While this property is not a full-service hotel, it offers lovely upscale condominium rentals from studios to 4-bedroom apartments and has good 7-day rental rates. It’s also next door to Millennium. Click here to see: Ocean Dream Cabarete.
Alternatives – There are many other properties in the area, so if you wish to find something else, feel free, but we recommend checking with us first so we can confirm it’s a good option and closely situated to our meeting spot.
*Hint: try booking flight and hotel together for extra savings.
Saturday, 7/20 Campers arrive! Orientation Meeting & Welcome Drinks
Sunday, 7/21 8:00am – 10:00am, Surfing Session
12:00pm – 5:00pm, Kiteboarding Session
Monday, 7/22 Kiteboarding Day! (10:00am – 5:00pm)
Tuesday, 7/23 Group Adventure Day (subject to change based on wind)
Wednesday, 7/24 Kiteboarding Day! (10:00am – 5:00pm)
Thursday, 7/25 8:00am – 10:00am, Surfing Session
12:00pm – 5:00pm, Kiteboarding Session
Friday, 7/26 Kiteboarding Day! (10:00am – 5:00pm ) Traditional Dominican Farewell Dinner at Sammy’s family’s home
Saturday, 7/27 – Campers depart – transport to airport
ABOUT THE LESSONS:
• Equipment: All equipment will be provided as necessary, but you are of course welcome to bring your own gear (e.g. kites, boards, harnesses) if you have it.
• Instruction: In addition to working with Sammy, you’ll have the pleasure of learning from other local watersports experts who we have hand-picked for the camp. We will keep a very low student-to-instructor ratio (at least 2:1, and sometimes 1:1 for your kiting lessons) to ensure you have a fabulous experience.
• Surfing Lessons: To maximize your time in the water, we’ll take you surfing, as well! On two days, campers will have the opportunity to surf in the morning, before the winds pick up. Surfing happens at Encuentro Beach, which is a 10-minute ride from central Cabarete (transport provided).
• Kiteboarding Lessons: Kiteboarding lessons will happen as soon as the winds pick up, typically late morning. Campers will get be able to kite for extended sessions each day, and will be broken into groups by skill level.
Cabarete has some amazing eats – both local and international. Prior to the start of the trip, we’ll put together an optional dinner schedule, for those that want to enjoy dinners together (most places are right on the beach, so you can dine barefoot in the sand!). Most campers have really enjoyed dinners together, both for the great food and opportunity to get know one another and unwind. You are totally welcome to do your own thing, or you can join us each night at a different local restaurant (yes, we know all the best spots!). We’ll also provide you a guide of recommendations for breakfast and lunch spots, so you’ll always be eating well.
In the rare event that wind conditions are too light for kiteboarding, we will fill up your week with plenty of other fun activities, which will be included in the camp cost in lieu of kiting days. Or, if you need a break from watersports one day and would like to try one of these out on your own, we’ll point you in the right direction!
• Hike the caves at El Choco National Park
• Swim in crystal waters and eat fresh fish beachside at Playa Grande
• Ride horses along Cabarete’s beaches
• Cascade down 27 waterfalls at Damajagua
• Visit local educational non-profits and get a taste for Dominican life
• Sample local rum and beer, and try your hand at dominoes
• Find your groove learning Merengue and Bachata, the country’s national dances
• Tour a Cacao farm with the Cabarete Coffee Company
• Enjoy a downhill bike ride with Iguana Mama Tours, or rent a mountain bike on your own
• Explore cultural sites in the coastal city of Puerto Plata
• Get an awesome massage or mani/pedi at rock bottom prices
• Wander around Cabarete town and check out all of its shopping options
• Relax at the pool or on the beach and do nothing, with a drink in hand
We look forward to having you join us on this unique and memorable adventure, and can’t wait to see your kiteboarding skills soar! Feel free to contact us with any questions, and please confirm your seat as soon as possible, as spots will fill up fast.
Reserve My Spot!
Spots are available on a first-come, first served basis. To reserve your spot(s), please send in either full payment or a $400 non-refundable deposit, which goes towards your camp fee, and fill out the online registration form, found here. Full payment due by June 1, 2019.
Payment can be made by any of the following:
Name: Samuel Perez Hults
Select “Sending to a friend”
Check, payable to “Samuel Perez Hults” mailed to:
Sammy’s Aloha Watersports
1293 Onioni St.
Kailua, HI 96734